Composite Regional Center for Persons with Disabilities(CRC) Kozhikode, is committed to make its website accessible to people with disabilities. In its effort to make the website accessible, Composite Regional Center for Persons with Disabilities(CRC) Kozhikode has incorporated different features which will make it easier for users to browse the website.
Some of the accessibility features incorporated in the website includes adjusting the display settings, ease of navigation, content readability and so on. Following are the accessibility features incorporated in this website:
- Alternate Description for Images
- Display Settings
- Ease of Navigation
- Content Readability & Structure
Alternate Description for Images
- Alternate Text: Brief description of an image is provided for users with visual disability. If you are using a browser that supports only text or have turned off the image display, you can still know what the image is all about by reading the alternate text in absence of an image. In addition, some browsers display the alternate text in the form of a tooltip when the user moves the mouse pointer over the image.
- Accessibility Options: Options to change the size of the text and set a contrast scheme are provided.
- Text Size: The size of the text on the Web pages can be changed either through the browser or by clicking on the text sizing icons present at the top of each page.
- Contrast Schemes: The website provides different contrast schemes to enable users with visual impairments, such as low vision and colorblindness and users with learning impairments to view the web page information with ease. Different contrast schemes include Black on White, White on Black, White on Blue and Black on PaleYellow.
Ease of Navigation
- Skip to Main Content: Quick access to the core content of the page is provided for keyboard and screen reader users without requiring them to go through repetitive navigation links.
- Descriptive Link Text: Brief description of a link is provided using clear and descriptive phrases instead of just using words such as 'Read more' and 'Click here' as link text. Further, if a link opens a Website in a new window, the description specifies the same.
- Consistent Navigation Mechanism: Consistent means of navigation and style of presentation throughout the Website has been incorporated.
Content Readability & Structure
- Icons: Text has been supplemented with icons to enable users with learning disabilities understand the information easily. Icons have been provided along with text labels for key navigation options as well as important features, such as print, email etc.
- Identification of file type and file size: Information about alternate file types, such as PDF, Word, Excel along with the file size has been provided within the link text to help users identify the same. In addition, icons for different file types have been provided with the links. This helps users in deciding whether they wish to access the link. For example, if a link opens a PDF file, the link text specifies its file size and file type.
- Table Headers: The table headings are marked and associated with their corresponding cells in each row. This enables a screen reader to read out the column and row header of any cell for the user.
- Table caption and summary: Table captions are specified that act as labels, which indicate what data is provided in the table. In addition summary is specified to provide description for screen reader users to enable them understand the table information easily.
- Headings: The Web page content is organized using appropriate headings and subheadings that provide a readable structure. H1 indicates the main heading, whereas H2 indicates a subheading. In addition, appropriate headings have been provided to improve readability.
- Page titles: An appropriate name for each Web page is specified that helps users especially screen reader users to understand the page content easily.
- Large Print: Web pages include large print option which helps users with low vision and senior citizens to print the web page with large font size.